Tuesday, November 8, 2011

GLBT Village in Ottawa

So just in this past week Ottawa officially got a GLBT village. No it didn't just happen overnight where all the queers decided to move in, its just naturally happened over decades that the Bank and Somerset area is a GLBT predominant neighbourhood. In the past week however, due to lobbying by the Village committee city council finally approved the designation and put up street signs designating the area.

Now I have some issues with the Village committee including the use of transgender often instead of trans, excluding the word queer, and often using gay as if it's an umbrella term. As well I consider there to be better uses of our time and money as Ottawa queer people and, that essentially it is a project that shows the privilege of those involved. However, I am supportive of having a queer village in Ottawa and beautifying the neighbourhood with murals, rainbow flags and other art projects. So despite my critiques overall I'm in favour of the concept.

I especially get behind it when I hear cis and straight people saying about how they feel "their" neighbourhood is being invaded and so they are going to move, or that now they are going to avoid the neighbourhood. At that point I say good riddence, take your bigotry with you. Another one I keep seeing is that what about having a "straight village" which goes along the lines of the people who I hear saying they should have a "straight Pride". Look almost every place on earth is a straight village so seriously stop being an idiot. Its these type of people I wish I could give a "how to not be a douchbag" workshop.

1 comment:

  1. The "how not to be a douchebag" workshops are my favourite!

    ReplyDelete