Friday, July 8, 2011

Sex Work is Real Work and Feminist

This week while I've been in away in Toronto the Women's Worlds 2011 conference has been going on in Ottawa. This is a major feminist conference where many women come together and discuss the needs and experiences of women. One of the major events that came out of this conference included a solidarity rally for the hundreds of missing Native women to support the Sisters in Spirit campaign. Given these important actions I cannot believe at how appaled I am to hear that sex workers were derided and verbally harassed at the conference.

Sex workers include people of all genders but have disproportionate numbers of cis and trans women. It is uncomprehensible to me women whom call themselves feminist who will then attack and insult the choices (some willing, some out of necessity) of women sex workers. Not all parts of the sex trade are pretty or consentual, but the vast majority is based on a women's choice. Isn't women having the right of choice what feminism is all about or have I somehow missed the true point which includes policing other women?

I am of the opinion that sex work is an important part of our society and should be honoured as a sacred act or at least as a legitimate profession. If you don't like sex work then fine, but the way you reduce it does not include harming other women it includes alleviating conditions of poverty, racism and transphobia that lead some women into sex work out of necessity. To any other feminists out there whom still disagree how would you feel if I took away your choice?

To all the others in Ottawa whom agree I suggest you find a way to support POWER (Prostitutes of Ottawa-Gatineau Work Educate & Resist).

EDIT: I would like to add that I was informed that the missing Native women's protest was boycotted by Families of Sisters in Spirit (which was the orignal group I was thinking of). This was due to the fact that only one family member was invited and overall Families of Sisters in Spirit were denied the right to speak. Amnesty and KAIROS joined the boycott as well. So this only proves further marginalization of women's voices at this conference.

2 comments:

  1. Great to see another person holding Women's World accountable for their failure to truly be inclusive. I wish I had found POWER's "Whore Power" button before the last afternoon of the conference.

    Do you know why Families of Sisters in Spirit was denied the right to speak at the protest? I'm rather aghast at that fact. The boycott on the part of FOSIS, Amnesty and KAIROS was definitely not common knowledge at the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why Families of SIS were denied the right to speak, I was just informed by a member that it was the case. And yes organizations or events that pull this form of exclusion and marginalization need to be held to account.

    ReplyDelete